I’m the director of Stop Family Violence â€“ an online grassroots activist org â€“ just discovered your fabulous blog! Can you please help get the word out about this to your networks?
Stop Family Violence
Congress’ unanimous reauthorization of the expanded Violence Against Women Act this past December was cause for celebration. Now, however, VAWA’s in trouble and we need your help. For the 5th year in a row, President Bush has not requested full funding for VAWA programs in his budget proposal.What’s more, because VAWA wasn’t passed until late last year – after the President had already drafted his budget request – no funding at all has been proposed for new VAWA programs!
TAKE ACTION NOW at http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org/241
Congress authorized spending $1 billion per year so that VAWA’s effective programs could continue and expand. Unfortunately, the President’s budget only requests $546 million in funding for continuing and new programs – just over half of what he could have requested.
The following are some of the new VAWA programs that have not received any funding in the President’s 2007 Budget Request:
- Services for Children who witness abuse
- Sexual Assault Services
- Privacy protections for victims of violence
- Programs for Communities of Color and Indian Women
- Prevention – encouraging men and boys role in ending violence against women
The following are some of the continuing VAWA programs that have not received full funding in the President’s Budget request
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Family Violence Prevention and Services Act Shelter and Services
- Rape Prevention and Education
- Services for Older and Disabled Victims of Violence
- Legal Assistance for victims of violence
- Transitional Housing
Over the next few weeks, Congress will be making decisions about how to appropriate money for fiscal year 2007. Please make sure they hear from you so that victims don’t have to wait another year for these lifesaving services!
Go to http://www.stopfamilyviolence.org/241
to learn more and to send a free message to your legislators telling them to provide full funding for all VAWA programs.