Across the nation, people are organizing candlelight vigils to honor the peaceful protests of the Iranian people. Here are a few upcoming vigils:
- New York City: Wednesday, June 24, 2009. 7:00-10:00 p.m. in Union Square
- Baton Rouge, LA: Wednesday, June 24, 2009. 8:00-9:00 p.m. On LSU campus in front of Student Union.
- West Lafayette, IN: Wednesday, June 24, 2009. 9:00-9:30 p.m. Memorial Mall, Purdue University (State Street).
- Indianapolis, IN: Wednesday, June 24, 2009. 8:30-10:00 p.m. White River State Park â€“ Celebration Plaza. 801 W. Washington St.
- Montclair, NJ: Wednesday, June 24, 2009. 8:15-10:15 p.m. Church Street and South Fullerton.
- College Station, TX: Friday, June 26, 2009. 8:30pm – 9:00 p.m. Texas A&M campus (no further details available).
I remember the very different vigils people held in the U.S. during the awful period of November 4, 1979 to January 20, 1981.
For Christine Ahmanpour’s take on women’s unique contributions to Iranian political history, her interview with Lesley Stahl is here.