Fitness Balls Recalled by EB Brands Due to Fall Hazard; New Assembly Instructions Provided
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product.
Name of Product: Bally Total Fitness, Everlast, Valeo and Body Fit Fitness Balls
Units: About 3 million
Manufacturer: EB Brands, of Yonkers, New York
Hazard: An overinflated fitness ball can unexpectedly burst while in use, causing the user to fall to the floor
BASIC GUIDELINES FOR USE
* Be sure to wear appropriate exercise clothing and footwear such as sneakers or exercise shoes.
* Remove all objects from your body (rings, watches, etc.), clothing with pins, buckles, belts, etc. and pocket contents such as keys, pens, pencils, etc. that could potentially puncture the ball during use and afterwards when stored.
* For your protection, use the ball on a padded floor material as the ball can slip on carpet surfaces or hard and waxed floor surfaces.
* Make sure you have adequate clearance in the area around the ball where you are using it. It should be a clean, level, non-slip, solid surface.
* Keep the ball away from any sharp objects, debris or direct sunlight. The ball should not be placed anywhere where it would be exposed to high temperatures or heat sources.
* Before each use inspect the ball for any damage, worn spots, cracks or foreign objects that might harm the surface. If there is any sign of damage, DO NOT attempt to use it or repair it.
* Inflate the ball only as described below. Improper inflation may cause damage to the ball.
* The ball should never be kicked.
* Make sure the valve plug is fully inserted to seal the valve closed.
* The ball should only be used indoors – the ball is not intended for outdoor use.
* Exercise balls should not be exposed to extreme variations in temperature. Do not store in extreme hot or cold environments – such as vehicles, outdoor sheds, in an attic, etc.
* Mount, dismount and change position on your ball slowly. Due to the round ball shape it could roll out from under the user with quick movements and possibly result in injury to the user.